Saturday, May 12, 2007

Vermont Brie from Blythedale Farm, Vermont

I bought this cheese a while back, but then worried that maybe it wasn't quite ready to eat, so I saved it for my trip to Athens, Ohio. I finally arrived here on Thursday night, after about 11 hours on the road, so by then the cheese, which had been safely wrapped up in a towel at the bottom of my lunch bag, was definitely good to go. I had pretty low blood sugar by then, so I didn't think as clearly as I might have before taking it from its very nice container, so I don't have a picture of in its unwrapped state - oh well. It was nice and runny once unwrapped, and very creamy and tasty, with just a bit of tangy bite. It has a very tender and thin rind, which I appreciate, as much as I'm happy to eat rind. It is from the Blythedale Farm in Vermont. Real French Brie cannot be had in the States, given that it is made with raw (i.e., unpastuerized) milk and aged less than 60 days, which means that the FDA, in their ultimate uptightness, will not let it pass our borders. But this is very good, although it is made with pastuerized milk, and it is far superior to any of the factory made cheeses called "brie" that you can buy at your local grocery store. I bought this at the Hannaford's grocery store in New Hartford, NY.

No comments: