Saturday, April 28, 2007

Nice Enough Little Goat Bocconcini from Italy

I found this little cheese at the Wegman's in Ithaca, on the same day that I bought the Mimolette that I posted about before. And when I say little, I mean it - the whole thing sat quite easily in the palm of my hand. (My limited knowledge of the Italian language makes me think that it translates to "little something".) To be perfectly honest, its diminutiveness and charming packaging was definitively part of its appeal to me! It is made of goat's milk in Italy. It had a tender and thin rind (the outer layer of a cheese), with a paste similar to that of an unripe brie or camembert. The flavor was gently goaty, and subtle enough to make me not sure that it was ripe when I ate it. Perhaps I should have found it a cool spot in my basement and let it sit for a few days. (All of this is somewhat inconsistent with Wikipedia's article on bocconcini. So perhaps what I bought is not really traditional???)

No comments: